How you can Help

Thank you for supporting the Quiet Use Coalition in securing solitude for the individuals who wish to hike, bike, run, paddle, ski, snowshoe, ride horses and commune with nature and wildlife in peace and quiet.


   Join us in completing some work projects that will protect and preserve public land and further our mission. 
   We have on the ground  volunteer projects scheduled with public land managers on a regular basis.
Please go to the Events page for dates and details on these projects.

Join and Donate to the Quiet Use Coalition
       We welcome donations to assist us in doing the type of work we do.
      You can donate online or via regular mail.
     We are a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization ID  # 84-1457091 and your donations are exempt from federal income tax.

Donate online with a Credit card by clicking the 'Donate Now' button below.

  Donate by Mail.
If you are uncomfortable donating money online, you can also
send us a check through the mail

Please Mail donations to the
       Quiet Use Coalition       P.O. Box 1452      Salida, CO 81201.

    You can view and/or print a donation form to mail in by clicking here
 Note the form is in .PDF format.  If you do not have Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer to view .PDF files, you can download it for free by clicking here


Report or Document Illegal/Questionable Activity
   If you observe illegal activity on public lands, roads or trails, please report it.

     This may include:
*Unattended campfires, arson or fire ban violations.
*Motor vehicles in Wilderness areas, off designated roads or trails, or in areas   closed to  motor  vehicles.   Traffic violations.  Operating vehicles at excessive speeds or in an unsafe manner.
*Unlicensed ATVs or dirt motorcycles on County Roads
*OHV or snowmobile use on private property.
*Vandalism to property, signs or habitat.
*Littering or dumping.
*Game or Fish violation.

*Timber, tree or mineral theft.

* Illegal drug use or underage drinking activities.
* Unauthorized occupancy.

 Try to record:
A. Type of activity or violation
B. Time, date and location of incident. Estimate of when it occurred.
C. Extent of violation (number of vehicles/people involved, damage to resources, etc.)
D. Vehicle make, type or model, color and license/registration plate number.
E. Suspect's physical and clothing description and number of people involved.

F.  TAKE PHOTOS, of damage, vehicles, riders etc. if possible

    Call Chaffee County Sheriff Dispatch at 719-539-2596

Call Lake County Sheriff Dispatch at 719-486-1249

     Call Fremont County Sheriff Dispatch at 719-276-5555

      Call Saguache County Sheriff Dispatch at 719-655-2544

       Call Park County Sheriff Dispatch at 719-836-2494

                         In an emergency call  911

NOTE:  Colorado County Sheriffs do have the authority to enforce federal travel restrictions, regulations, and closures on BLM and Forest Service lands.  HB 1069-08 gave them this authority.  If you see illegal motor vehicle/OHV activity taking place, calling 911 normally is the quickest way to put you in touch with a local County Sheriff.  The central dispatch centers that are reached by calling 911 normally can patch you through to the correct law enforcement person.

 Local Central Colorado land Management agency Law Enforcement Officers
    San Isabel National Forest Service  

     Leadville District and some of White River Forest    Phil  Strehle  719 486-7447

                                                                  719 870-0639                                                                                          

    SE Forest Service (S Park) Ken Archuleta  970-295-6678  

National BLM reporting hotline

To report natural resource crimes and other violations on BLM public lands 

BLM Law Enforcement Dispatch at (800) 637-9152  The number is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,   


   You can also report violations to these land agencies:
 USDA Forest Service  Salida District Office at 719-539-3591
                                    Leadville District   719-486-0749
                                    San Carlos District  719-269-8719
                                    Gunnison District  970-641-0471
                                    Saguache District  719-655-2547
                                    South Park District 719-836-2031



              BLM/AHRA Salida   719-539-7289
                    BLM Canon City  719-269-8500

-Email the agency staff
Forest Service District Rangers
Salida District   Jim Pitts  719-530-3960
Leadville District   
South Park District  Josh Voorhis 719-836-3857
San Carlos District 
Saguache District  Tristram Post  719-655-6125
Gunnison District 

Forest Service recreation managers
Salida Ben Lara 719-530-3955  

local BLM Contact 
 Phone 719-539-7289 

Linda Skinner  Rec Planner   719-269-8732

If you do not know who to contact or can’t figure it out, contact the QUC and we can help. Please copy the QUC on any reporting you do.

   Reporting illegal activity is a way to be an activist while you go about your normal hiking, driving, skiing, camping etc. on public lands.  Please get some photos if you can and than follow up and report the problems to the agency.  You can act as the eyes and ears of the agency in helping them to properly manage our public lands. 


What is legal?  Rules and regulation regarding travel
on Central Colorado Public lands and routes

*Use of motor vehicles on Forest Service land restricted to designated routes shown on maps.
All OHV motorized use on local Pike San Isabel and Rio Grand National Forest Land is restricted to designated routes.
The designated routes which clearly show where motorized use is allowed are clearly shown on the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM).
     These maps are available free in hard copy at a local Forest Service District Office, or they are available online.
here for a link to PSI National Forest MVUMs.
Click here for links to Rio Grande National Forest MVUMs.

NOTE:  These MVUMs are the enforcement tool which motor vehicle users should use for navigation on National Forest Land.  It is the individual motorized user's responsibility to use the map properly.  Navigation by  following signage, tracks on the ground, other motorized users, evidence of previous use and/or other public/ private maps may not be correct.

Other Forest Service motor vehicle regulations
   Operating a vehicle carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the rights and safety of other personnel or in a manner or at a speed that would endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property is prohibited.      36 CFR 261.54(f)

*Motorized and Mechanized travel restricted to designated routes on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Lands
     Many local BLM lands limit motorized and mechanized travel to designated routes.  If the travel is not limited to designated routes, it is normally limited to previously existing routes in most areas.  Mechanized travel includes bicycle use.
     For more information on travel on local BLM lands, go to the Royal Gorge Field office of the BLM website by clicking here   Their travel management plans and resource management plans have maps and information on travel. They hope to have a travel map available in Nov. 2009.

*Almost all County, City, and State roads are closed to unlicensed OHV (ATV and unlicensed dirt bike) use
Central Colorado

If it is a paved or gravel County Road in Chaffee, Park, Fremont and Saguache Counties,  it is likely closed to unlicensed OHV use by State Law!

 Colorado State OHV state law
   Colorado Revised Statutes, Section

 - Off-highway vehicle operation prohibited on streets, roads, and highways.
(1) No off-highway vehicle may be operated on the public streets, roads, or highways of this state except in the following cases:
(a) When a street, road, or highway is designated open by the state or any agency or
political subdivision thereof;
(b) When crossing streets or when crossing roads, highways, or railroad tracks in the
manner provided in section 33-14-112;
(c) When traversing a bridge or culvert;
(d) During special off-highway vehicle events lawfully conducted pursuant to the authority
granted to local political subdivisions in this article;
(e) During emergency conditions declared by the proper state or local authority;
(f) When local political subdivisions have authorized by ordinance or resolution the
establishment of off-highway vehicle routes to permit the operation of off-highway vehicles on city streets or county roads, but no street or road which is part of the state highway system may be so designated;
(g) When using an off-highway vehicle for agricultural purposes;
(h) (I) When the United States or any agency thereof authorizes by any means such
operation on lands under its jurisdiction.
(II) No action is required to be taken by the United States pursuant to this paragraph (h) to
authorize the use of off-highway vehicles on lands under the jurisdiction of the United States.

33-14.5-111 - Enforcement - federal, state, and local
(1) Every parks and recreation officer, every peace officer of this state and its political
subdivisions, and every person commissioned by the division has the authority to enforce the provisions of this article.


               The following are the only exceptions in Chaffee County where OHVs are legally allowed on four County roads:
                CR 175 (Ute Trail) – north from FR 181 intersection to Park County Line 
                CR 375 (northeast of Buena Vista) almost in its entirety.
                CR 187 
                CR 185
                (St. Elmo Area)section of CR 162 spanning approximately 1350    feet,  beginning approximately 75 feet east of the turn off to CR 292.
           A ¾ mile section of CR 162 beginning at the entrance of “Grizzly” parking and terminating at the Forest Service road 267nfor Tin Cup Pass(basically to and through St. Elmo including CR 267)
                 CR 292 West of Alpine
                 CR 296
                 The first ~ half mile of CR 295

    Only a few miles of Chaffee County Roads are legally open to unlicensed OHVs!

(Click here for changes to Chaffee County roads OHV uses in early 2012)

 *Unlicensed OHV Rules for Chaffee County Roads
    All ATVs and unlicensed motorcycles must adhere to the following regulations on the few public roads that are open to these OHVs in Chaffee County.

*Valid driver’s license required for the driver
• Must be 16 years old.
• Liability insurance
• Basic equipment must include muffler, spark arrester (U.S.F.S. approved), brakes and one headlamp and taillight.
• Can only be operated for the purpose of going to or coming from public lands.
• Must stay on far right of roadway.
• Must travel single file.
• Cannot be on private property without the owner’s consent
· No ATVs allowed on any paved roads in the county

OHV travel or trespass on private land is prohibited and unlawful in Chaffee County without express consent
 from the private property owner
(Chaffee County Ordinance No. 2005-01 Section 2.03 (e)

In Colorado, snowmobile use is prohibited on private property without prior permission from the property owner (CRS 33-14-113).


Be a Quiet User and Get out there!

     One of the basic ways to help is to get out there and enjoy your public lands in a low impact, responsible and quiet manner.  Hike, camp, bike, fish etc. on public lands to develop and reinforce your appreciation for these natural areas.  Take a friend, neighbor or child to help them enjoy, learn about and appreciate the need to protect and preserve these valuable natural resources.

Hike with a Purpose:
If you’re an individual who wants to protect and restore quiet on our public lands, yet can’t commit to specific volunteer schedules, then you might be interested in our ”Hike with a Purpose” program.

As part of the Adopt-A-District program, it allows volunteers to take an active role in helping the Quiet Use Coalition and the Colorado Mountain Club document and record individual experiences in local National Forests and BLM lands while you hike.

Volunteers head out on their own or with friends for a day or more, where they can take photos and record what they see on the Environmental Impact Report. Sending this information to the QUC is an important part of our work to gather information on proposed quiet areas and advocate for their protection.


Boreal  Toad,  a Colorado Endangered Species,
killed by OHV in Mineral Basin W. of Buena Vista

Be an Activist as You Play -- Adopt-a-District:
One way to support the QUC mission -- to preserve and promote quiet use areas -- is to ensure that QUC members and friends have a personal knowledge of the land; a love of the land provides for its spirited defense. Concerned individuals should approach the QUC with areas that we can work on to designate as quiet use. This is where our ”Adopt-a-District” program, a joint effort with the Colorado Mountain Club and the Southern Rockies Forest Network, will have a big impact.

    This project was developed to monitor areas of Off Road Vehicle (ORV) abuses. The Adopt-a-District program teaches citizens how to monitor, photograph and document off-road vehicle damage, and how to interact with land managers to affect change.

   By recording information observed in the backcountry during individual outings, supporters enable the QUC to use the information gathered to show hard evidence of ORV abuses to government agencies and legislators -- bringing pressure to remedy abuses. Hard evidence is the most effective way to gain support and bring about action.